ACCESSING "ESSENTIAL" BUILDING & PLANNING SERVICES
Development Services Department
March 18, 2020
To ensure the safety of our residents, patrons and employees, the City’s Development Services Department is making every effort to protect public health while maintaining essential services until the health risks have been reduced. The City of South Lake Tahoe is looking to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), State of California and EL Dorado County for guidance on best practices related to the COVID-19 health concerns.
Accessing “Essential” Building Services
Permit Applications and Plan Review Options
Those interested in submitting a building permit application for Plan Review may do so by using our electronic submittal process. This electronic submittal process can be found at the Development Services Department webpage. Follow the links to Building Services then Forms & Applications (http://www.cityofslt.us/129/Forms-Applications). Choose the appropriate checklist for your project and follow the instructions for submittal. Plan Review applications will be reviewed utilizing our digital plan check procedures. Questions, corrections and/or notifications regarding the application will be emailed to the applicant.
Over the counter permits can be easily obtained by visiting our website or following the link at: http://www.cityofslt.us/DocumentCenter/View/11330/Permit-Application---fillable?bidId=
Upon completion, these can be emailed to email@example.com We will return a copy of the permit and receipt and you can begin your project.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Permit Center at (530) 542-6010 or again, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspection Services Requests
All requests for inspection services will be evaluated by the Building Official daily. The assigned Building Inspector will then contact you prior to the inspection by phone or email to inform individuals if the Inspection Request can be accommodated. Please note that all “Non-Essential inspections” may be postponed at this time. Inspectors may also be able to conduct a “Technology Based” inspection that will require relaying information, photos or video to the inspector for review.
Evaluation and determination of Inspections will be assessed as follows:
- Inspection Services Request (“Non-Essential”) - Non essential inspections are those that do not affect life safety and/or construction schedule processes. In the event we receive a request for a non-essential a determination to conduct the inspection will be based on available inspection resources and the ability to conduct the inspection within the social distancing guidelines of the CDC, State of California and EL Dorado County. These inspections maybe rescheduled or suspended.
- Inspection Services Request (“Essential”) - Essential inspections are those that affect life safety and / or construction schedule processes. These inspections may be granted case by case. Note: For these inspections, there must be a mutual agreement and assurance from the requestor that the maximum amount of social distancing will be provided (preferably no one on the job site). Inspectors encountering situations that do not meet guidelines provided by the CDC, State of California or El Dorado County will leave the site immediately.
- Inspection Services Request (“Technology Based Inspection Services”) - Minor Inspection Services such as shower pan water testing, simple BMP repairs, minor correction notice repairs, etc. may be completed via video chat on mobile devices or through submittal of photographs or other supporting documentation. Inspectors will authorize these case by case. Note: Video chat inspections are available using Facetime.
If you need of “Essential” and/or qualify for “Technology Based” Inspection Services, please contact the Development Services Department Inspection Line at (530) 542-6017. We will make every effort to schedule your inspection.
Accessing “Essential” Planning Services
Planning Application Submittal
Those interested in submitting a general planning application, sign permit, or major temporary activity application for planning review may do so by using our electronic submittal process. Please download the applicable application at the Development Services Department webpage. Follow the link to Planning Division Forms & Applications at https://www.cityofslt.us/144/Fees-Applications-Checklists. Please complete the appropriate application and email the application and applicable documents to email@example.com. Questions, corrections and/or notifications regarding the application will be emailed to the applicant. Application fees can be paid with a credit card over the phone or mailed to the Planning Division, 1052 Tata Lane, South Lake Tahoe, California 96150.
If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Permit Center at (530) 542-6010 or contact John Hitchcock, Planning Manager at (530) 542-7472 or electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fence Inspection Requests
All requests for fence inspection services will be evaluated daily by the Planning Manager and assigned to planning staff who will contact the requester prior to the inspection by phone or email to inform individuals if the Inspection Request can be accommodated. Please note that planning staff may also be able to conduct a drive by inspection.
PROVIDING "ESSENTIAL" BUILDING & PLANNING SERVICES
To ensure the safety of our residents, patrons and employees, the City’s Development Services Department has prepared the following steps for providing access to “essential” Building & Planning Services.
Public Access to City Services
1. During the week of March 16th, Permit Center staff has been directed to encourage customers to electronically submit building and planning applications and provided hands-on instruction on how to electronically access and submit applications.
2. On March 18, 2020, Development Services will post on the Department’s website information and instructions for accessing “Essential” Building & Planning Services.
a. This document provides information on how the general public can access Development Services (See Attachment).
b. The accessing “Essential” Building & Planning Services document will be e-blasted to applicants, builders, consultants, professional designers, as well as the general public.
c. The Department has been accepting electronic application submittals for some time. Therefore, to immediately implement accepting electronic applications there will be no ramp up period, or additional resources necessary at this time.
3. On March 23, 2020, the Department will only accept building and planning applications electronically, unless it is determined that the Service Center closure is necessary sooner, based on Center for Disease Control (CDC) and El Dorado County (EDC) guidelines.
4. Both Planning and Building staff will be available to the public by appointment only. However, information and services available over the phone will continue during normal business conditions (Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm).
5. An appointment can be made by contacting staff directly or contacting the Permit Center at (530) 542-6010 or again, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
6. Limiting public physical access to the City Services Center will be in place until further notice. The City of South Lake Tahoe is looking to the CDC, State of California and EDC for guidance on best practices related to the COVID-19 health concerns.
Protecting our Human Resources (Our Employees)
1. The Department continues to provide resources consistent with the COVID-19 Employee Response Plan Memorandum, dated March 16, 2020.
2. Work from home option, when available:
a. All supervisors have been directed to review the Telecommuting Checklist with their employee(s). Both supervisor and employee are asked to acknowledge and accept the criterion in writing, as set forth in the Employee Telecommuting Checklist (dated March 16, 2020).
b. Supervisors will work closely with the telecommuting employee to ensure work assignments are completed in a timely manner, and the work product meets Department standards.
3. The Department will issue cell phones to the Permit Technicians to field calls, and schedule appointments for applicants and general public.
4. The Department’s management team will continue to meet regularly to assess and modify internal work processes and resources, as necessary.
Click here to view the Development Services Dept. Directory
The mission of the Development Services Department is to improve community livability, promote the local economy, and preserve Tahoe’s environmental identity through collaboration.
Development Services Department is located at:
1052 Tata Lane
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
As of July 1, 2020
Re-opening hours are:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
from 7:30 am -11:30 am
Tuesday and Thursday
from 1:30 pm-3:30 pm
For assistance please call
Permit center’s phone number at 530.542.6010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspection Line: (530) 542-6017
Development Services Divisions:
This report is created utilizing data collected from various different branches of Development Services, including Building Division, Permit Center, Planning Division, Multi-Family, Vacation Home Rental and Fire Inspection Program. The data collected is illustrated in easy to read bar graphs that provide various performance metrics and increases Development Services Department transparency.