Housing Issues Hotline

The City of South Lake Tahoe has created a Housing Issues Hotline to assist residents with landlord-tenant concerns. The Housing Issues Hotline is a phone number you can call and get information, locate resources, request assistance, or potentially file a complaint regarding the condition of your rental unit.

Your Landlord is Required to Provide

  • Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and outside walls, including unbroken windows.
  • Hot and cold running water provided and connected to a sewage disposal system.
  • Plumbing and gas facilities in good working order.
  • Electrical lighting with wiring, and electrical equipment maintained in good working order.
  • Floors, stairways, and railings, maintained in good repair.
  • The building and all grounds free of rodents, and other pests.

For additional building code questions, call the Housing Inspector at 530 542 6023.

How to file a housing complaint

  1. Call Housing Hotline: (530) 542-7417. 
  2. Or download and complete the Housing Issues Citizens Report (fillable PDF form); also available in Spanish Reporte de Quejas (fillable PDF form). Email forms to Lydia Zuniga.
  3. You can also complete the Housing Issues Citizens Report webform; also available in Spanish.
  4. After the forms are received, the Housing Inspector will contact you to arrange an inspection visit.
  5. After the inspection is completed, the Housing Inspector will identify any building violations and will contact the owner.

Substandard Housing Inspection Fee

The substandard housing inspection fee is charged in accordance with the City of South Lake Tahoe Schedule of Fees. The property owner is responsible to pay the fee, due within thirty (30) days of receipt of the first violation notice.