Vacation Home Rentals (VHRs)

For up to date COVID-19 restrictions, visit the California Blueprint for a Safer Economy website. State industry guidance for hotels, lodging and short term rentals provides detailed information for Vacation Rentals. 

Permitting Process for New VHRs

A VHR permit is required for all properties meeting the definition of a VHR (entire home). New Vacation Home Rental Permits are not allowed in residential areas. 

How do I get a new or renewal permit for a non-residential area?

First, confirm your property is located in a non-residential area by viewing the City of South Lake Tahoe Land Use Map. You may also search for the property by address using the VHR GIS Map at the bottom of this page. 

Click for New and Renewal Application Form (please ensure you have already requested an inspection through the Building Department - form below). You may also obtain or renew a VHR permit from the Police Department (can be dropped off, mailed, or emailed).

All VHR permit conditions apply with the exception of the VHR Cap and the VHR Inspection.

  • Exterior Signage
  • Interior Signage
  • Bear Box*
  • Dedicated Parking

Photos of the appropriate signage, bear box and diagram of parking places (19' x 9') are required with the permit application.

*Bear Box may not be required if HOA has a centralized refuse plan.  Check with HOA.

Permits are generally processed within 7-10 days of receipt of complete application form and payment. They will be sent to you or your local agent for placement inside the home.

VHR Annual Permit Fees (Effective May 3, 2018)
Maximum Occupants
Permit Fee
1 - 4
5 - 8
9 - 12
> 12


Non-Residential VHR Application and Renewal Form (PDF)
Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF)
Update Local Contact Form (PDF)

For a larger map, visit the Arcgis website.