Vacation Home Rentals (VHR)
Renewal Process for Existing VHR Permit Holders
Please click here for VHR permit renewals by Property Management Company for each month:
**Please notify the City if you have sold your property or wish to close your permit**
Prior to expiration, please complete and submit a VHR renewal application (available for download here) with payment, in one of the following ways:
- By mail: ATTN: VHR Clerk 1052 Tata Lane, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 with the check made payable to the City of South Lake Tahoe, referencing the VHR Address and permit number.
- For payment by credit card please submit a credit card authorization form
- By email: RE: VHR Renewal firstname.lastname@example.org
- For online payments click here.
A vacation home rental permit may only be renewed if the following criteria has been met:
1. The renewal application is complete and the applicant has complied with the submittal requirements.
2. There have not been three or more upheld citations issued for violations of the City Code at the vacation home rental property within any twenty-four (24) month period. Upheld citations mean citations which were neither overturned on appeal nor dismissed.
3. The vacation home rental permit has not lapsed, expired, been revoked, or suspended.
4. The vacation home rental is current on transient occupancy taxes has paid all said taxes in full to the City. Returns must be filed whether rents are received or not.
5. The vacation home rental permit has not been transferred to another person, entity, or property.
**COVID-19 VHR update**
As of June 12, 2020, permitted Vacation Home Rentals may resume activity. This does not include "Shared Home Rentals".
Prior to renting, please ensure you have read the CalOsha Guidance document in its entirety, especially pages 12-14. https://www.cityofslt.us/DocumentCenter/View/14127/guidance-hotels-lodging-rentals-003
How do I renew my VHR Permit is in the Tourist Core Area Plan?
First, confirm your property is located in the Tourist Core Area Plan by viewing the City of South Lake Tahoe Land Use Map . You may also search for the property by address using the VHR GIS Map at the bottom of this page. For more information on renewing in the Tourist Core visit: Application and Renewal in the Tourist Core.
Other Useful Information, Forms, and Templates
Do you need to update your local contact information? Download the form (PDF).
Exterior Sign Template (PDF)
Interior Sign Template (PDF)
Hot Tub Sign Template (PDF)
Inspection Checklist (PDF)
One Time Credit Card Authorization form
VHR Violation Fees