Property Release


Property release is available by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call (530) 542-6145.

Recovering Property

If your property is currently in the possession of the South Lake Tahoe Police Department, please review the appropriate section below for information on how to recover your items.


Any person who seeks the return of a firearm held by the Department must provide a copy of a Department of Justice (DOJ) determination stating that he or she is eligible to possess firearms. The Department will not release firearms to any person who has not cleared a DOJ firearms eligibility check. The Department is not required to hold a firearm for more than 180 days after it has been made available for return. All firearms, including those collected for safekeeping, are subject to a $35 administrative fee per weapon.


Items submitted for temporary safekeeping must be claimed within 60 days of the Department taking possession or they will be disposed of as specified by the law. All perishable items and opened containers of alcohol will be destroyed at intake. You or an authorized representative will need to call and make an appointment, have clearances required (DOJ or DA) in place.

Found Property

Items submitted as found property will be held for 90 days. The finder wanting to claim the items must complete a finder’s affidavit at the time the property is turned over to the Department. Finders making a claim will be notified at the end of the 90 day period for pick up if no owner has come forward.

Stolen or Embezzled Property

Property has been taken from you that was allegedly stolen or embezzled. Pursuant to Penal Code Section 1413, upon being served a notice of claim of ownership from this Department, you have 15 days from the date of service to notify the property officer, in writing, if you wish to dispute the claim. After you have been given the opportunity to be heard on this matter, the property in question may be released to you or the person claiming to be the true owner. If criminal charges are filed, you may ask the District Attorney’s Office to review the decision of the Department. If you choose to waive your rights , such action may not be held against you in a criminal proceeding.


Items submitted as evidence will only be released if the District Attorney’s Office authorizes the release in writing or the Superior Court orders the release of the items. Court Orders and District Attorney’s authorizations will need to be presented to the property / evidence officer along with photo identification.