- City Services
- Cannabis Revenues Grant Program Information
Cannabis Revenues Grant Program Information
In March 2023, the City Council re-funded the community benefit grant program with Cannabis Community Benefit Fees of $400,000. Applications will be reviewed by the grant committee, consisting of the Mayor, a Council Member, the City Manager and the City's Finance Director. The committee will award grants to projects most consistent with the criteria and which promote the City's strategic priorities.
PROCESS & GUIDELINES
To assist the City Council in the evaluation of the community-wide cannabis revenues grant program, the following process and guidelines have been developed to assist the City in an annual review of proposals for funding opportunities to local public agencies and nonprofit organizations with programs or projects designed to mitigate potential negative impacts of the cannabis industry in South Lake Tahoe and which promote the priorities of the City Strategic Plan. The City’s Strategic Priorities are: Built Environment, Recreation and Equitable Access, Community for All, Economic Development and Continuous Improvement. The Strategic Plan can be found here: https://www.cityofslt.us/DocumentCenter/View/15828/City-of-SLT- Strategic-Plan-web-version
Please note that this is a grant program for project funding. It is not a donation or sponsorship program. Strong applications will directly address one or more Strategic Priorities while also addressing potential negative impacts of the cannabis industry.
Grant amounts will range from $1,000 to $50,000.
Funds must be expended within one year.
No more than a 10% de minimus indirect cost rate allowed; unless the organization can provide a separate approved federal cognizant agency indirect cost rate.
The City shall disburse 90% up front, and the final 10% shall be reimbursed upon successful completion of final reporting.
Detailed documentation of eligible expenses is required.
WHEN CAN I APPLY?
The City grant program will open on April 17, and the submittal period will remain open until 11:59 p.m. on May 15.
• You must have a current City of South Lake Tahoe Business License at the time of application submittal.
• Your entity and proposal must be focused on efforts to mitigate potential negative impacts of the cannabis industry in South Lake Tahoe and promote the priorities of the City Strategic Plan.
• Your entity must be located within the city limits or serve the community of South Lake Tahoe, CA.
• One application per entity.
• If you are a past-year recipient you must be in compliance with the annual reporting requirement, which includes the submittal of a written report, detailing how your previous award was expensed, to the City no later than March 31 following a previous year’s grant award.
• Must meet all requirements outlined in the City’s Financial Policies Granting Funds for Community Benefit and Enhancement.
• Please be sure your application is complete when you send it in. The City reserves the right to not consider incomplete applications.
• Applications will be reviewed by the grant committee, consisting of the Mayor, one City Council Finance Committee member, the City Manager, and the City’s Finance Director.
• The grant committee will make recommendations to the City Council no later than June 30 annually for consideration and approval.
• To provide transparency, the City of South Lake Tahoe will post a list on the City’s website showing all grant recipients and the amount received. By signing and submitting a grant program application with the City of South Lake Tahoe, you agree to have your entity’s name along with the grant amount listed on the website. Please note that anything submitted to the City is considered public record and can be made available via a public records request.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
You will be required to submit the following required documentation along with your signed application form:
1. A photo or copy of your current City of South Lake Tahoe Business License
2. A current IRS Form W-9 showing your Taxpayer ID
3. For nonprofits, attach your IRS letter with proof of tax-exempt status and a screenshot of Secretary of State Business Search website showing ACTIVE status of your nonprofit
4. For governmental agencies, attach federal TIN documentation
5. Federal tax return 990/990-PF or previous year audited financial statement OR a previous year audited financial statement
Please submit the application form and the supporting documentation via email to:
Or send to:
City of South Lake Tahoe City Hall
Attn: Grant Program
1901 Lisa Maloff Way, Suite 210
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Or bring to the Finance drop box at the above address.
To be considered for the grant, your materials must be in by 11:59 p.m. on May 15.
Contact the City of South Lake Tahoe at Grantprogram@cityofslt.us with questions.
*Awards will be announced at the June 20, 2023 City Council meeting*
2022 Grant Awards
Soroptimist (Safety upgrades to the softball field) $10,000
TAMBA (Reducing maintenance closures) $10,000
Tahoe Alliance for Safe Kids (TASK) (substance use harm-prevention) $50,000
The Drug Store Project (teaching about substance use and abuse) $20,900
Sober Grad Night (substance-free graduation celebration) $30,000
Lake Tahoe Historical Society (supporting family events) $10,000
Family Resource Center (bilingual - bicultural therapist, Spanish) $50,000
Tahoe Coalition for the Homeless (mental health & community safety) $50,000
Tahoe Art League (murals and art classes) $7,500
Gateway Mountain Center (expand youth program) $48,750
LTUSD (social emotional learning program, field trips $50,000
Tahoe Youth and Family Services (substance use disorder specialist) $50,000
LT Bike Coalition (bike locks and parts to support community donations) $2,500
Encompass Youth (counseling & workforce readiness for youth in transition) $10,000