Cannabis Revenue Grant Information
On June 21, 2022, the City Council awarded nearly $400,000 in Cannabis Revenue Grant funds to 14 non-profit or educational entities. Twenty-three applications were reviewed by the grant committee, consisting of Mayor Middlebrook, Council Member Friedrich, the City Manager and the City's Finance Director. The committee awarded grants to 14 projects that were most consistent with the criteria and promoted the City's strategic priorities.
The following is a list of the inaugural program's grant recipients:
Soroptimist (Safety upgrades to the softball field) $10,000
TAMBA (Reducing maintenance closures) $10,000
Tahoe Alliance for Safe Kids (TASK) (substance use harm-prevention) $50,000
The Drug Store Project (teaching about substance use and abuse) $20,900
Sober Grad Night (substance-free graduation celebration) $30,000
Lake Tahoe Historical Society (supporting family events) $10,000
Family Resource Center (bilingual - bicultural therapist, Spanish) $50,000
Tahoe Coalition for the Homeless (mental health & community safety) $50,000
Tahoe Art League (murals and art classes) $7,500
Gateway Mountain Center (expand youth program) $48,750
LTUSD (social emotional learning program, field trips $50,000
Tahoe Youth and Family Services (substance use disorder specialist) $50,000
LT Bike Coalition (bike locks and parts to support community donations) $2,500
Encompass Youth (counseling & workforce readiness for youth in transition) $10,000
PROCESS & GUIDELINES
To assist the City Council in the evaluation of the community-wide cannabis revenue grant program, the following process and guidelines have been developed to assist the City in an annual review of proposals for funding opportunities to local public agencies and nonprofit organizations with programs or projects designed to mitigate potential impacts of the cannabis industry in South Lake Tahoe and which promote the priorities of the City Strategic Plan.
The City’s Strategic Priorities are Built Environment, Recreation and Equitable Access, Community for All, Economic Development and Continuous Improvement. The Strategic Plan can be found here: /DocumentCenter/View/125/Five-Year-Financial-Plan-Adopted-031511
• Grant amounts will range from $1,000 to $50,000.
WHEN CAN I APPLY?
The City grant program will open annually on April 15, and the submittal period will remain open annually until 5pm on May 15.
• Your entity and proposal must be focused on efforts to mitigate potential impacts of the cannabis industry in South Lake Tahoe and promote the priorities of the City Strategic Plan.
• Your entity must be located within the city limits of South Lake Tahoe, CA.
• If you are a past year recipient you must be in compliance with the annual reporting requirement, which includes the submittal of a written report detailing how your previous award was expensed to the City no later than March 31 following a previous year’s grant award.
• Please be sure your application is complete when you send it in.
• Applications will be reviewed by the grant committee, consisting of the Mayor, one City Council Finance Committee member, the City Manager and the City’s Finance Director.
• The grant committee will make recommendations to the City Council no later than June 30 annually for consideration and approval.
• To provide transparency, the City of South Lake Tahoe will post a list on the City’s website showing all grant recipients and the amount received. By signing and submitting a grant program application with the City of South Lake Tahoe, you agree to have your company’s name along with the grant amount listed on the website.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
You will be required to submit the following required documentation along with your signed application form:
1. A current IRS Form W-9 (showing your Taxpayer ID)
2. An IRS letter with proof of tax-exempt status, if applicant is a nonprofit.
3. Screenshot of Secretary of State Business search website showing ACTIVE status (not required for public agencies)
Please submit the application form and the supporting documentation via email to Grantprogram@cityofslt.us
City of South Lake Tahoe (City Hall)
Attn: Grant Program
1901 Lisa Maloff Way, Suite 210
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Or bring to the Finance drop box located at the above address. To be considered for the grant, your materials must be in by 5pm on May 15. Contact the City of South Lake Tahoe at Grantprogram@cityofslt.us with questions.