VHRs In Non-Residential Areas

How do I get a new or renewal permit for a non-residential area?

First, confirm your property is located in a non-residential area by viewing the City of South Lake Tahoe Zoning Map. You may also search for the property by address using the VHR GIS Map at the bottom of this page. 

Click for New and Renewal Application Form (please ensure you have already requested an inspection through the Building Department - form below). You may also obtain or renew a VHR permit from the Police Department (can be dropped off, mailed, or emailed).

All VHR permit conditions apply with the exception of the VHR Cap and the VHR Inspection.

  • Exterior Signage
  • Interior Signage
  • Bear Box*
  • Dedicated Parking

Photos of the appropriate signage, bear box and diagram of parking places (19' x 9') are required with the permit application.

*Bear Box may not be required if HOA has a centralized refuse plan.  Check with HOA.

Permits are generally processed within 7-10 days of receipt of complete application form and payment. They will be sent to you or your local agent for placement inside the home.

VHR Annual Permit Fees (Effective April 16, 2021)
Maximum Occupants
Permit Fee
1 - 4
5 - 8
9 - 12
> 12
$19.23 to $850.00

Additional fee information


Non-Residential VHR Application and Renewal Form (PDF)
Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF)
Update Local Contact Form (PDF)

  1. Maureen Stuhlman

    VHR Investigator
    Phone: 530-542-6071

For a larger map, visit the Arcgis website.