Hosted Rental Regulations
On November 17, 2020, City Council adopted an ordinance to regulate Hosted Rentals. Hosted rentals are not subject to the City's Vacation Home Rental (VHR) regulations as amended by Measure T, which only apply where an entire dwelling is rented for less than 30 days. The ordinance is intended to enact sensible regulations and define how hosted rentals would be permitted. The ordinance is drafted to avoid negative impacts on neighborhoods while establishing a legal framework for responsible home-sharing.
To view the Hosted Rental Ordinance in its entirety, click here: Hosted Rental Ordinance.
Applications for Hosted Rental Permits are currently being accepted. To apply, complete the Hosted Rental Permit Application and provide all required supporting documentation. An application fee of $250 is also required. Application materials may be submitted to the Development Services Department by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to the address below, or in person during Permit Center public hours.
Homeowner Applicants: You must provide either a copy of the property tax statement that shows the Homeowners Tax Exemption (see below for examples), or The Affidavit of Principal Place of Residence (must be notarized).
Long-Term Tenant Applicants: You must provide a copy of your rental/lease agreement and The Affidavit of Principal Place of Residence (must be notarized).
* Please refer to page 4 of the application packet for full application submittal requirements.
Affidavit of Principal Place of Residence (must be notarized)
List of active Hosted Rental Permits (updated September 15, 2021)
Permit Center Public Hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday:
8:00 am - 3:30 pm (closed from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm for lunch)
Closed on Tuesdays
Credit Card payments may be submitted via the Credit Card Authorization Form included with the application packet, or by check or cash. Please make checks out to the "City of South Lake Tahoe" and either submit in person or mail to:
Attn: Hosted Rental Program
1052 Tata Lane
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the definition of a Hosted Rental?
An activity where the owner or tenant hosts a visitor or visitors in the homeowner’s or tenant’s home, for compensation, for a period of 30 or less consecutive calendar days, while the homeowner or tenant lives on-site in the home during the visitor’s stay.
What qualifies as a “Homeowner”?
A person or persons that own a dwelling and claims that dwelling as their principal place of residence. A “homeowner” may also be a personal or family trust consisting solely of natural persons. Business entities are excluded from the definition of “homeowner.”
Can a tenant qualify to have a Hosted Rental?
Yes. The tenant must reside in a dwelling either: (a) under a lease with a term of two years or more; or (b) with proof of tenancy under multiple consecutive leases adding up to two years or more. The tenant must also have the homeowner’s permission to operate a Hosted Rental and claim that dwelling as their principal place of residence.
I own a duplex, can I live in Unit A and rent out Unit B?
No. Hosted Rentals are not allowed in multi family units. In addition, the ‘host’ must reside in the same dwelling unit as the hosted rental.
What regulations are Hosted Rentals subject to?
- The homeowner or tenant shall be available by telephone to respond to complaints regarding the Hosted Rental and shall be available to respond in person to complaints within sixty minutes. The homeowner or tenant listed on the application shall stay overnight at the dwelling while it is being used as a Hosted Rental.
- The homeowner or tenant may only enter into a Hosted Rental contract with one party at a time during the same rental period.
- The Hosted Rental Permit number shall be included on all advertisements and the entire home shall not be advertised as available for rent.
- The maximum number of guests allowed in a Hosted Rental shall not exceed two people per hosted bedroom and shall not exceed six total guests. Children five and under are not counted toward maximum occupancy. Rental to unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 is prohibited.
- Limit of vehicles associated with the Hosted Rental use is determined by the number of paved off-street parking spaces dedicated for use by guests, not to exceed two vehicles.
- Outdoor amplified sound is prohibited. Quiet hours are from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am. Use of outdoor spas and hot tubs is prohibited during quiet hours.
- Events such as weddings and receptions are prohibited.
- All required transient occupancy tax (TOT) payments shall be made on time. For information on paying TOT visit http://www.cityofslt.us/452/Transient-Occupancy-Tax.
- Homeowner or tenant shall maintain records of every night that the Hosted Rental is rented. Records must include the name and contact information of the guest signing each rental contract, the number of occupants under each rental contract for a period of three years, and shall provide such records to The City within 15 business days of receiving a written request.
- Homeowner or tenant shall go over these performance standards with guests prior to or during their stay.
- The Performance Standards shall be included in the Hosted Rental agreement and shall be posted inside the Hosted Rental in a location readily visible to all guests. Download the Performance Standards here.
Can I rent my accessory dwelling unit?
No. The ‘host’ must reside in the same dwelling unit as the Hosted Rental.
Is there an application fee and do I have to renew my permit annually?
Yes, the initial fee for a Hosted Rental Permit Application fee is $250 and can be renewed annually for $250. Applications to renew a Hosted Rental Permit shall be submitted prior to the expiration of the existing Hosted Rental Permit. If the renewal application is not filed, the Hosted Rental Permit shall expire one year from the date it was issued and shall be considered null and void.
The City will not provide notice to the permittee of a forthcoming Hosted Rental Permit expiration date.
How can I get more information?