Vacation Home Rentals (VHR)
The City of South Lake Tahoe’s City Council recently tightened regulations on the Vacation Home Rental (VHR) Ordinance which take effect on December 22, 2017.
Vacation Home Rental Ordinance, December 22, 2017
Updates to the VHR Ordinance include;
There will no longer be warnings. All code violations to the VHR Ordinance will result in a minimum $1,000 fine to both the owner or the property and the
renter of the home. If a VHR receives three fines within a 24 month period, they will lose their VHR permit. The cap on
VHRs outside of the Tourist Core area will be 1,400 homes.
VHRs is limited to the garage and the paved driveway. Vehicles are not allowed to park on the streets of VHRs. No excessive noise is allowed between the hours of
and 10pm . 8am Bear boxes must be installed in all
VHRs by July 2018. 31st Camping is prohibited on VHR properties.
The owner of the VHR is required to inform their guest renters of the requirement to comply with all aspects of the City’s VHR Ordinance.
How do I know if my property is in the Tourist Core Area Plan or a Residential zone?
To determine if your property is located in the Tourist Core Area Plan versus a Residential area, then please click the following link: . You may also search for the property using the VHR City of South Lake Tahoe map GIS Map below. Once determined to be in the Tourist Core Area, go to Application and Renewal in the Tourist Core.
Permitting Process for New VHRs
A VHR permit is required for all properties meeting the definition of a VHR. All persons or entities interested in operating a vacation home rental located outside the Tourist Core Area Plan may submit a vacation home rental application to the Development Services Department.
Download the VHR application HERE.
It shall be the applicant’s responsibility to provide all information and materials required to comply with the vacation home rental application requirements. The filing date of the application shall be the date when the Development Services Department officially receives all the required information and the application is deemed complete. If the application submittal is deemed incomplete, the applicant will be notified within thirty (30) calendar days of the receipt of the application. The application will not be considered if a complete application is not submitted within an additional thirty (30) days.
All vacation home rental applications which have been deemed complete shall be placed on the South Lake Tahoe Vacation Home Rental Waitlist (“VHR Waitlist”) in the order of the application’s filing date. Vacation home rental applications will be reviewed by the Development Services Department in the order of ranking as established by the VHR Waitlist.
When vacation rental permits are available, applications on the VHR Waitlist will be considered on a quarterly basis in the the order of ranking established by the VHR Waitlist. Once a vacation home rental permit becomes available, Development Services will notify the applicant, and conduct a vacation home rental inspection within fourteen (14) days of notification. The applicants have forty-five (45) days to make all changes and improvements to the property which are required by the City pursuant to the inspection. If the applicants fail to make all changes and improvements within forty-five (45) days of the inspection, the application will be placed on the bottom of the VHR Waitlist.
A vacation home rental permit will be issued if the following findings are made:
1. The application is complete and the applicant has complied with the submittal requirements.
2. The property passes the vacation home rental inspection and the property conforms with all plan area statements and building code standards which are in effect at the time of construction of the vacation home rental property and that no health or safety violations which threatened the well being of guests, neighbors or the community are present at the vacation home rental property.
3. Neither the vacation home rental property nor the vacation home rental applicant has received three or more upheld citations for violations of the City Code. Upheld citations mean citations which were neither overturned on appeal nor dismissed.
4. The vacation home rental property contains sufficient paved parking spaces to accommodate the maximum number of occupants. All the required parking shall be constructed on the vacation home rental property prior to operation as a vacation home rental.
5. The proposed vacation home rental property will not exceed the cap of 1,400 vacation home rentals within the City.
VHR permits are good for one year and expire on the date of their issuance.
Renewal Process for Existing VHRs
Vacation home rental permits must be renewed on an annual basis prior to expiration by filing a renewal application and a renewal fee.
Download the VHR application HERE.
There is no grace period. Failure to renew and pay the applicable fees in a timely manner will render the vacation home rental permit null and void.
A vacation home rental permit will be renewed if the following findings are made:
1. The renewal application is complete and the applicant has complied with the submittal requirements.
2. There have not been three or more upheld citations issued for violations of the City Code at the vacation home rental property within any twenty-four (24) month period. Upheld citations mean citations which were neither overturned on appeal nor dismissed.
3. The vacation home rental permit has not lapsed, expired, been revoked, or suspended.
4. The vacation home rental is current on transient occupancy taxes has paid all said taxes in full to the City. Returns must be filed whether rents are received or not.
5. The vacation home rental permit has not been transferred to another person, entity, or property.
Denial of a VHR Permit
The Development Services Department will notify the applicant in writing if a VHR permit is denied. The decision shall become final unless the applicant appeals the decision to the City of South Lake Tahoe Planning Commission in accordance with the appeal provisions of the SLTCC Section 2.35.
Other Useful Information, Forms, and Templates
Do you need to update your local contact information? Download the form here.
Exterior Sign Template
Interior Sign Template
Hot Tub Sign Template
Bear Box Loan Program
Bear Box Specifications
The following forms are required prior to the issuance of a new VHR permit:
“ Application Affidavit” form
“ Leave No Impact” form
VHR MapThe VHR map is updated on a daily basis. If you have a question regarding the status of a property please contact the VHR Clerk at (530) 542-6011 or via email at