1052 Tata Lane
South Lake Tahoe,
Ph: (530) 542-7417
Fx: (530) 541-7524
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm
The City of South Lake Tahoe has created a Housing Issues Hotline to assist residents with landlord-tenant concerns. The Housing Issues Hotline is a phone number you can call and get information, locate resources, request assistance, or potentially file a complaint regarding the condition of your rental unit.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Housing Issues
Please visit our FAQ page
for a list of the most frequently asked questions and links to information.
Your Landlord is Required to Provide
- Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and outside walls, including unbroken windows.
- Hot and cold running water provided and connected to a sewage disposal system.
- Plumbing and gas facilities in good working order.
- Electrical lighting with wiring, and electrical equipment maintained in good working order.
- Floors, stairways, and railings, maintained in good repair.
- The building and all grounds free of rodents, and other pests.
Substandard Housing Inspection Fee
- Call the Housing Hotline at (530) 542-7417. You can also send an email or complete the Housing Issues Citizens Report and the Tenants Affidavit of Service Form.
- A building inspector will then arrange an inspection visit at your apartment or house.
- The building inspector will identify any building violations and will contact the owner with a written notice to comply.
The fee for a substandard housing inspection is $511. The property owner is responsible to pay the fee, due within 30 days of receipt of the first violation notice.
The City of South Lake Tahoe does not conduct inspections for bed bug infestation. When a bed bug complaint is received by staff, the city will notify the property owner or management company and instruct them to treat the nuisance.
Inspections and treatments are the responsibility of the property owner and/or management company, however tenants have an obligation to allow access to their units.
The El Dorado County Environmental Management Division offers handouts on how to eradicate bed bugs and provides referrals for pest management companies. If you have any questions or need additional information regarding bed bug resources please contact:
County of El Dorado
Environmental Management Division
3368 Lake Tahoe Blvd. Suite 303
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 573-3450 Fax (530) 542-3364
List of Property Managers and Rental Dwellings