Vacation Home Rentals (VHR)
To make a VHR complaint or report a VHR disturbance, please contact 530 542-7474 at the time of the disturbance and an officer will be dispatched in response. Please note, this phone number is only for City of South Lake Tahoe VHR complaints and disturbances.
For general VHR Enforcement questions, please call 530-542-6071.
- If you're looking for information related to Measure T, all the current information is incorporated in the city code.
- All code violations to the VHR Ordinance will result in a $250 - $1,000 citation to either or both the owner of the property and the renter of the home.
- If a VHR receives three upheld citations within a 24 month period, the VHR permit is revoked.
- No excessive noise or hot-tub use allowed between the hours of 10pm and 8am.
- Bear boxes (PDF) must be installed at all VHRs. Welcome to STR
- Camping is prohibited on VHR properties (this includes sleeping in a motorhome at the VHR)
- The owner of the VHR is required to inform their guest renters of the requirement to comply with all aspects of the City’s VHR Ordinance and the parking/occupancy limits for their property.
How do I know if my property is in the Tourist Core Area Plan?
To determine if your property is located in the Tourist Core Area Plan, please click the following link: City of South Lake Tahoe map (PDF). You may also search for the property by address using the VHR GIS Map at the bottom of this page. Once determined to be in the Tourist Core Area, go to Application and Renewal in the Tourist Core for all information on Tourist Core permits.
Permitting Process for New VHRs
A VHR permit is required for all properties meeting the definition of a VHR (Entire Home). New Vacation home rental permits are not allowed in residential areas. If you have questions about the permitting process:
Tourist Core, please contact: 530 542-6071 firstname.lastname@example.org
All other areas, please contact: 530 542-6011 email@example.com
Renewal Process for Existing VHRs
Vacation Home Rental permits must be renewed on an annual basis prior to expiration by filing a renewal application and a renewal fee.
Questions for VHR renewals:
in the Tourist Core, please contact: 530 542-6071 firstname.lastname@example.org
in all other areas, please contact: 530 542-6011 email@example.com.
Download the VHR Renewal or New Application (PDF) for non-Tourist Core properties.
There is no grace period for renewals. Failure to renew and pay the applicable fees in a timely manner will render the vacation home rental permit null and void. Residential-area permits will still require annual renewal, but will permanently expire on their expiration date in 2021
A vacation home rental permit will be renewed if the following findings are made:
1. The renewal application is complete and the applicant has complied with the submittal requirements.
2. There have not been three or more upheld citations issued for violations of the City Code at the vacation home rental property within any twenty-four (24) month period. Upheld citations mean citations which were neither overturned on appeal nor dismissed.
3. The vacation home rental permit has not lapsed, expired, been revoked, or suspended.
4. The vacation home rental is current on transient occupancy taxes has paid all said taxes in full to the City. Returns must be filed whether rents are received or not.
5. The vacation home rental permit has not been transferred to another person, entity, or property.
Denial of a VHR Renewal
The Development Services Department will notify the applicant in writing if a VHR permit is denied. The decision shall become final unless the applicant appeals the decision to the City of South Lake Tahoe Planning Commission in accordance with the appeal provisions of the SLTCC Section 2.35.
Other Useful Information, Forms, and Templates
Do you need to update your local contact information? Download the form (PDF).
Exterior Sign Template (PDF)
Interior Sign Template (PDF)
Hot Tub Sign Template (PDF)
Inspection Checklist (PDF)
One Time Credit Card Authorization form
VHR Annual Permit Fee for Non-Tourist Core Permits
> 12 $1,325
The VHR map is updated on a daily basis. If you have a question regarding the status of a property please contact the VHR Clerk at (530) 542-6011 or via email. For a larger map, visit the Arcgis website.